The art of treating yourself
Just like the “First sip of beer” praised by French writer Philippe Delerm, there are little pleasures that can be particularly delicious when enjoyed on your own. Here are a few ideas for indulging without feeling guilty, and brilliant ways of boosting your dopamine levels.
- Walk barefoot across hot sand or through grass still wet from the morning dew.
- Enjoy a morning coffee on a sunny terrace.
- Go to the movies in the afternoon.
- Get back into bed after breakfast.
- Write a letter – a heartfelt one – and maybe get one in return.
- Close your eyes and breathe in the scent of wet grass after the rain.
- Take a long, hot bath by candlelight while listening to your favorite music or reading.
- Watch an old movie snuggled up under the covers when it’s cold outside.
- Float on your back in the water.
- Indulge in a pastry in a real, old-fashioned tea room.
- Lie back on a deckchair and look at the stars on a summer’s evening.
- Treat yourself to a massage after a long day’s work.
- Take a nap in the shadow of a tall tree.
- Enjoy a glass of amazing wine.
- Do nothing whatsoever!
© Anka Zhuravleva