Bubble tea is a drink invented in Taiwan and is also known as pearl milk tea due to the tapioca pearls found at the bottom of the glass, which can be sucked up with a large straw! This delicious tea has become wildly popular over the last few years. Particularly refreshing in summer, bubble tea is fast and simple to make. All you need is a bit of tea, syrup, milk, and some tapioca pearls. Easy!
3 Bubble tea’s recipes:
We tested three delicious recipes using our Karavan N°50 black tea:
Option 1: Bubble Tea with milk and violet syrup
Option 2: Bubble Tea with peach syrup
Option 3: Bubble Tea with maple syrup and rice milk
To make your Bubble Tea, you will need:
- Black tea: For one glass, infuse a teaspoon of black tea in 150ml of water at 194°F (90°C) for 4 minutes. Remove the tea and set aside to cool. For these three recipes, we used Karavan N°50, a balanced blend of black teas from Asia that will give your Bubble Tea flavor without overpowering the taste of the syrup.
- Tapioca pearls: For one glass, cook 30g of raw tapioca pearls in 350ml of water. When your water is boiling in the saucepan, add the tapioca pearls and cook for around 15 minutes on a medium heat. Set aside in the cooking water for 5 minutes, then strain the pearls in a sieve and put them under the cold tap for a minute. Quick tip: Add your sweet liquid to the pearls straight away to stop them sticking! You can easily find tapioca pearls in Asian stores, online via Amazon, or on specialist websites.
- A sweet liquid: This is indispensable for adding flavor to your Bubble Tea. We recommend 3-4 tablespoons of your favorite syrup, but you can of course adjust the quantities to suit your tastes.
- Milk: Optional, and works just as well with cow milk and plant-based milks (almond, oat, soy, rice, etc.)
- An extra-wide straw for sucking up the tapioca pearls. We recommend you use inox or bamboo straws as they can be reused and are better for the environment!
- As many ice cubes as you want!
When you have mixed all the ingredients together in a large glass, you can sit back and enjoy!